Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Learning Curves

I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught.
Winston Churchill

     I just bought myself an Olympus OM-D E-M5 (could they choose a clumsier name?) mirrorless camera. It was a large investment for me that I know will bring a good return, but there are a few things standing in the way. 

     I have been using an iPhone for the past few years and love how tiny it is, and that it serves other purposes. While on the hiking trail I can communicate if necessary, track my journeys as well as take pretty amazing pictures and I barely know I am carrying it. 

     After un-boxing the impressive new camera I suddenly realized how ill prepared I am for this. I have never used anything but a point and shoot style camera. I know nothing about lenses, aperture or shutter speeds and was concerned the bulk would cramp my freewheeling style on the trail. 

     I had researched this camera and am committed to the process, however, and am determined to make this work. The prize of far better photos is before me if I can bridge the learning curve. And that is what I am determined to do. 

     One of the problems has been that my initial attempts to capture something gripping with the Olympus have fallen short. In fact, I can take much better images with my little iPhone 6. At least for now!

     In reality, the potential for spectacular shots is far greater with the Olympus than with the iPhone, but it has to be mastered. It's a bit like moving up from a Ford Focus (which I currrently drive) to a BMW (which I would not mind having). It is intimidating at first, adjustments have to be made. Old habits die hard, and new tricks and old dogs don't mix very well. 

    So I am refusing to take the easy shot with my iPhone (but, ironically, the photo at the top was taken with my iPhone- cut me some slack). I am taking an online photography course (for old dogs). The prize of amazing captures is just out of reach, but will be in my hands soon if I will invest the effort. Stay tuned...
   

No comments:

Post a Comment